Alan S. Golub serves primarily in the firm’s litigation and corporate departments and assists in heading up our environmental and intellectual property departments. Mr. Golub represents his clients in a variety of complex commercial litigation and transactional matters, including contractual and intellectual property disputes, environmental representation and litigation, and negotiating and drafting a wide array of business transaction documents, including buy-sell agreements, employment agreements, and franchise agreement and renewal documents. He serves as general counsel or co-counsel to several large PRP groups at Superfund sites located throughout the United States, and serves as international trademark counsel to several global companies with significant business interests in the United States.
Since 2008, Mr. Golub has served as General Counsel to the Parsippany Area Chamber of Commerce (“PACC”), and as a member of its Board of Directors. The PACC covers Parsippany Township and its surrounding communities, including Hanover Township, Randolph, Denville, Boonton, Boonton Township, Mountain Lakes, Morris Township, and Morristown. Mr. Golub also serves on the Board of Directors for the Tri-County Chamber of Commerce, serving the counties of Essex, Morris, and Passaic in Northern New Jersey.
Mr. Golub is the author of numerous articles and presentations on the importance of trademark and copyright protections for small and medium sized businesses, as well as pragmatic approaches to complex commercial dispute resolution. His articles have appeared in NJBIZ magazine as well as various online publications. He is also an author and co-editor of “The New Jersey Environmental Compliance Survival Guide” (1995), and is the author of SAMS’ Teach Yourself WordPerfect Office 2000 for Linux in 24 Hours (SAMS Publishing 2000).
- J.D., St. John's University, 1993
- B.S., Syracuse University, 1988
JURISDICTIONS ADMITTED TO PRACTICE
- New Jersey, 1993
- U.S. District Court, District of New Jersey, 1993
- New York, 1994
PROFESSIONAL & BAR ASSOCIATION MEMBERSHIPS
- American Bar Association, Litigation Section
- New York State Bar Association
- Board of Directors, Tri-County Chamber of Commerce
- Board of Directors and General Counsel, Parsippany Area Chamber of Commerce
- Obtained a judgment for over $10.5 million in damages and $2.3 million in attorneys’ fees after a 21-day bench trial against an insurance carrier defendant that denied insurance coverage to a corporate client for costs incurred defending, investigating, and remediating environmental contamination at dozens of sites throughout the United States.
- Represented Fortune 500 public works contractor in successful defense of over $800 million in claims filed by a disgruntled former employee under the Federal False Claims (Qui Tam) Statute.
- Represented Fortune 100 global investment company in successful dismissal of frivolous complaint by disgruntled former employee seeking liens on over $500 million in Company holdings based on civil rights violations and discrimination.
- Negotiated multi-million-dollar long-term requirements contract as part of a global settlement of product liability dispute against client manufacturer, resulting in no out of pocket loss for privately held corporate client.
- Represent Fortune 100 corporate client with respect to negotiation, resolution, and litigation over nationwide environmental legacy liabilities.
- Represented Fortune 100 corporate client in litigation to successfully resolve disputes in excess of $120 million arising under decades old acquisition and related transaction agreements.
- Serves as international trademark counsel to global privately held corporate clients, responsible for overseeing registration and maintenance of U.S. and International service marks and trademarks.
- Represented professional MLB player and his management company in securing trademarks and negotiating licensing and endorsement agreements.
- Represent numerous corporate clients in connection with litigation and arbitration proceedings to resolve contractual and other business disputes.
- Serve as Chair and/or Co-Chair of numerous joint defense groups and group committees overseeing the management, allocation, funding, and technical work at Superfund sites located throughout the United States.
- Successfully represented purchaser of business pursuing claim for damages and attorneys’ fees resulting from seller’s breach of non-compete agreement.
- Successful representation of former corporate director, officer, and shareholder in defense of multi-million-dollar fraud, conversion, and breach of fiduciary duty claims asserted by shareholders.
- Successful representation of trademark owner before the United States Patent and Trademark Office’s Trademark Trial and Appeals Board to dismiss claims challenging the bases for successful trademark registration.
- Represented individual landlord in disputes with tenants over liability for alleged environmental violations.
- Represented individual and corporate clients in administrative proceedings to resolve alleged violations of environmental and asbestos regulations.
- Represented corporate clients in connection with successful defense of claims alleging violations of confidentiality and non-compete agreements.
- Have represented dozens of corporate and individual clients in connection with negotiating and drafting numerous business transaction documents, including but not limited to stock and asset purchase agreements, franchise agreements and renewals, licensing and other permitted use agreements, partnership agreements, shareholder agreements, operating agreements, residential and commercial real estate environmental release and indemnity provisions, employment agreements, restrictive covenants, and other business-related contracts.
- Represented privately-held bank as residential mortgage review counsel.
- Obtained successful dismissal of environmental response cost claims against individual client who was sued as the former sole shareholder of a dissolved corporation.